Monday, September 2, 2013

Batch #27 - Vanilla Cream Ale

After much positive feedback, my last cream ale (Batch #23) seemed to finally hit the mark I was aiming for.  Last time I brewed 10 gallons.  The first 5 gallons I took one vanilla bean, cut in half, scrapped out insides, chopped up case, then soaked in vodka for a couple of hours.  I pitched that into the secondary for 2 weeks.

That batch only ended up having hints of vanilla, they were too subtle.  So with the second 5 gallon batch I decided to use two vanilla beans.  I had also noticed while tasting the previous 5 gallons at one week the vanilla was stronger than two weeks.  This time I did the two beans, and did it for one week.  The vanilla flavor was much, much closer to what I was going for.  I'm on the fence as to if I hit the exact mark, or if I want to add a little more.

With all that said, everyone basically drank up what I had left so I needed to brew up some more!  It is the same recipe as before, didn't change anything.  Brew day went pretty smooth, however I took my eyes of the boil kettle for a moment and got a boil over.  Other than hurting my pride, and more clean-up, that was the only drama.

What I can update you all on is that I had a lot of transfers to do this weekend too.  First off, I took my Oktoberfest out of the carboy, and moved it into a keg.  I didn't carbonate it, but I needed to free up the carboy, and I'm simply lagering right now so the keg seemed a good solution.  I gave it a quick taste and I think it has some great potential.  However my SG reading was a little high, so it isn't as dry as what I was hoping for.  I've also now had my Barleywine and Imp Stout on bourbon oak for a month now, so I transferred those to secondaries taking them off the oak.  They will now just sit until Mid-Nov.  They both tasted great, I am real happy with them.  Lastly I transferred the Imp IPA to secondary.  It is still bubbling!  Tastes pretty good, but it will taste much better once I get the last round of hops on it.

Well that is everything from this week's brew session.  Happy brewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment