Thursday, October 3, 2013

Batch #28 - Pocahontas Pumpkin Ale

It is that time of year...pumpkin season!  I decided to try my hand at a pumpkin ale this year, but where to start.  Fortunately for me this month's Zymurgy had a recipe that looked good that I decided to follow.  Out of copyright respect for them, I won't publish the recipe right now as it is their current issue.  However if they post it later I will put a link up.

What I will say is this recipe called for canned pumpkin, not fresh.  Next year I plan to make it out of fresh pumpkin.  There is also an addition of pumpkin spice, honey, and maple syrup.  The brew day started well enough, but quickly hit a wall.  I have heard of how pumpkin can stick a mash, man they weren't kidding!  I had already put 1 lb of rice hulls in, so when I stuck I threw another lb in.

Let me try to describe what a stuck mash acts like, and feels like.  First, since I use a HERMS system, my mash is always moving.  What will happen is that the site gauge will start to go lower and lower.  This is because a vacuum effect has started on the bottom of the kettle.  Then when I put my paddle in the mash, it was like hitting a rock.  I was really surprised at how much this solidified!  It took me a few minutes to break it all up, and mix it completely again.  Once done, I turned my pump back on and was good to go for a bit.  The mash stuck about 3-4 times in the beginning during the protein rest phase and while getting up to 154, but once up to temp it really didn't stick again.  I suspect it was two things, first I was mixed more and more of the rice hulls up into the mash, maybe they were not so evenly distributed on first mixes.  Second I suspect the warmer temp mash just allows things to expand and the liquid to be more viscus.

After mash I went into mash-out, and hour sparge, then boil.  The recipe did not call for much in hops, so the boil was pretty easy.  I exceeded my SG a little, the recipe called for 1.070, and I hit 1.072.  Color and taste were good of the wort, I am looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment