Monday, August 26, 2013

Batch #26 - Bourbon Oak Aged Ale - Photo Edition!

This recipe did not disappoint last time it was brewed.  I really hit the oak/whiskey balance with the 4 weeks.  That beer was awesome, so really it is just about making more!  This time around I made a 10 gallon batch so I would not run out anytime soon.

If you are interested in the recipe, take a look at Batch #20.  My only difference is that I brewed double the amounts for 10 gallons.

Since reposting a recipe isn't needed, this time I decided to take pictures along the way.  Here's some eye candy.


It all starts with the grain!


The grain mill for crushing.


The grain after the crush.


Just starting the mash, stirring in the grains.


Measuring brewers salts for mash.


Lactic acid for pH adjustments.


pH reading.  5.4, perfect!


Configuration of hoses for mash.


Measuring out the hops for the boil.


Configuration for sparge.


Inside the boil kettle during sparge.


Watching the site glass to make sure I hit my volume needed for boil.


Start of the boil, you can see the heating element outline in the foam.


After the boil chilling down the wort.


A close-up of the wort chiller in action.


That is pretty much the whole brew day, well minus a lot of cleaning.  However I figured those pictures would not be as exciting.  Just picture every pot shown, carboy, and hose getting a very solid clean.  What I did not take any pictures of, which will give me something to do next time, is how I make my yeast starter, fermentation, conditioning, kegging, maybe bottling (don't always bottle), then of course drinking!

Hope you enjoyed the pictures, I'll post more later.

No comments:

Post a Comment