Sunday, July 21, 2013

Batch #24 - Oktoberfest


It is time I finally did a lager on this system!  I can't think of a better style than getting an Oktoberfest started.  Timing right now should be good as it will be ready towards the end of Sept.  I got the recipe from a clone brew recipe book I have.  It is a clone recipe of an Oktoberfest called Ayinger Oktober Fest-Marzen from Privatbrauerei Aying, Aying, Germany.  I have not had this beer myself, but that is part of the fun!  It is seasonal so it should be out in the fall when mine is ready.  It will be fun to get some bottles of it and compare it to my brew.

Here is the recipe:

Batch Size - 5 gallons

Grains
7 lbs 12oz - German Pilsner
3 lbs - Munich Malt
8 oz - Dark Munich Malt
8 oz - Caramunich Malt

Hops
1.03 oz - Tettnang (6.5%) (90 min)
0.5 oz - Hallertauer Hersbrucker (2%) (15 min)

Yeast
Wyeast 2308 - Munich Lager - Target 440 billion cells

Brewers Salts
2.3g Chalk
0.7g Baking Soda
The brew schedule was as follows:

Mash
1.25 q water/lb
90 min at 153 degrees
Mashout to 170 degrees for 10 min
Sparge for approx 1 hour

Boil
90 min boil
Full 90 min add Tettnang hops
Final 15 min - Add Hallertauer Hersbrucker and Whirfloc tablet

Fermentation
Primary - 14 Days @ 50
Secondary - 7 Days @ 55
Secondary - 30 Days slowly decreasing temp to 34
Secondary - 3 Days @ 60 degrees
Keg Condition - 14 Days

Here are the specs on this brew:

IBU's -23.3
Color - 8.0 SRM
Calories - 182 per 12 oz
Estimated OG - 1.056
Actual OG - 1.055
Estimated FG - 1.013
Estimated ABV - 5.7%

The fun and different thing I did on this one was rather than using my usual water profile and brewers salts, I added chalk and baking soda to get as close to a Munich water profile as possible.  I am really looking forward to seeing how this turns out.  Unfortunately it will suck up one of my fridges for a while to lager, but it will be worth it!

The brew day went really well and smooth.  The only thing I didn't hit on the mark is I lowered my boil just a little, and as a result I didn't evaporate at the same rate, so with that my finishing hops ended up being on a little longer.  Outside of that things went great.  Below is a photo from the refractometer of my OG.


No comments:

Post a Comment