Sunday, July 21, 2013

Batch #22 - Bourbon Barleywine

I could not get enough of this delicious beer last time around.  It is so full of flavor, and of course it is oaked with a bourbon (Woodford Reserve) oak spiral (American oak medium char) which makes it all taste so very good!  This time around I am going to only oak it for 4 weeks.  In recent tastings of the Bourbon Ale (Batch #20), 4 weeks was perfect.  No heavy oak or tannin flavors, but the bourbon and vanilla from the oak comes through.  I'm hoping to really let this age for a while too so it can mature.  I couldn't resist last time and drank it pretty soon, but could taste it evolving over time.  This time I will be more patient, and it should prove an awesome Fall brew.

I followed the recipe and process exactly as before in Batch #18.  Feel free to review that posting for the recipe.  The only difference this time is I was able to hit a higher OG at 1.099.  I believe I achieved the higher OG simply because I boiled it down a little further, as well as a more controlled sparge technique I've been doing lately.  As I write this I brewed this 4 weeks ago and will be transferring it into secondary tomorrow so I can put on the oak.  Then 4 weeks later I will keg and let time do its thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment